Transformational leadership inspires people to achieve unexpected or noticeable results. It gives workers independence in specific jobs, as well as the power to make decisions once they have been trained.
There are some of basic characteristics of transformational leadership, which are:
- Inspirational: whereby the leader can inspire workers to find better ways to achieve the goal.
- Mobilization: Because leadership can mobilize people into groups that can get the work done efficiently.
- raise morale: in that Transformational leaders raise the well-being and motivation of the group by building an excellent rapport.
- transformational leaders are also good at conflict resolution.
All of these traits make transformational leadership suitable for many types of businesses.
What is the definition of transformational leadership?
Transformational leaders are sometimes called silent and quiet leaders. They are the ones who lead by example, and Their style tends to use harmony, inspiration, or empathy to engage followers. They are known to possess confidence, courage, and a willingness to make sacrifices for the greater good.
They have a single mental need to streamline or change things that is no longer work. A transformational leader motivates workers and understands how to form them into integrated units that work well with others.
Differences between transformational leadership & other leadership styles
There are Noticeable differences between transactional leadership and transformational leadership.
Transformational leader specializes in: –
- Work to change the system.
- Solve challenges by finding experiences that show that old patterns don’t fit or work.
- Desire to know what has to change.
- Maximize the ability and capabilities of their teams.
Transactional leaders do the following: –
- Working within the system.
- solving challenges by matching experiences to a familiar pattern.
- Wanting to know the step-by-step approach.
- Reduce the difference in the organization.
Another way to phrase it: Transactional is the “telling” style, while transformational is the “selling” style.
Transformational leadership style requirements
Here are some characteristics of transformational leaders:
- Well organized and expect their followers to be more creative.
- Team-oriented and expect followers to work together to achieve the best possible results.
- Respected, and in turn respects the followers.
- Serves as a coach for the team and provides training and motivation to reach desired goals.
- Responsible for his team, but also instills responsibility into team members.
- Generates respect through harmony, rapport and personal influence.
Advantages and disadvantages of transformational leadership
Transformational leadership works well in organizations that require change. Transformational leadership is not fit for new organizations where there is no structure.
Advantages of transformational leadership:
- Excellent at communicating new ideas for others.
- Good at balancing both of short-term vision and long-term goals.
- Have experience in building strong alliances and establishing mutual trust.
- Have integrity and high emotional intelligence _empathy with others_.
Disadvantages of transformational leadership:
- Not effective in the initial stage or special situations.
- Require to fix an existing structure.
- Inadequate in bureaucratic structures.
Benefits of transformational leadership
One of the best uses of transformational leadership style is, for example, in an organization that is outdated and requires serious retooling. It’s also a perfect match for a small company that has a big dreams and wants to change and adapt to get there. In both of these examples, the board of directors can bring in a transformational leader who will change the structure of the organization and also motivate existing workers to buy into the new direction.
Tips for Developing a Strong Base for a Transformational Leadership Journey:
- Develop a challenging and engaging vision together with employees.
- Linking the vision to a strategy to achieve it.
- Develop, define and translate the vision into action.
- Demonstrate confidence, decisiveness and optimism about the vision and its implementation.
- Realizing the vision through small planned steps and small successes on the way to its full implementation.
To develop your own leadership skills or to acquire more new skills, Optimus provides you with Professional Leader Program that is ideal for those who seek a simple and efficient way to enhance their key leadership skills by focusing on their managerial behaviors. All Optimus certifications are certified by ATHE & QUALIFI.
To know more about Optimus programs and all our courses. Visit our website
Or message us on Facebook page